HomeHome  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  Log in  

Share | 

Current Project

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next
AuthorMessage
Evelyn J

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Tue May 13, 2014 6:12 pm

I purchased a horse panel a 'few' years ago (with no particular recipient in mind) and over that time have collected a nice stack of Autumn toned fabrics to go with it. My uncle recently became ill so I decided to make him a lap quilt out of the above. The top is complete and is ready to be sandwiched and quilted. Won't take too long to do from here. Will take a photo soon of the progress and put it in the gallery.

I took it with me to the 'big smoke' last week to show our Karen in person. I thought it was a bit strange that she was not as impressed with it as I thought she could have been until I went to fold it up and she noticed all the seams on the back!! She told me she thought I had purchased a very large 'printed cheater quilt' panel!! The hide of her!!! Now she is suitably impressed!! And just as well!! All the seams matched perfectly too!!!
 lol! 
We did go to the spotted place after lunch as well and I found some most beautiful blue roses fabrics, $20+ a mt marked down to $8 a mt and when it was scanned....... joy oh joy... it was $4 a mt!!! Bargain!! 

I purchased the end of 2 bolts. Over 3 mts of light blue and 9 mts of dark.  Rolling Eyes I know! I said I wasn't going to add to my stash for a while until I used up some of what I had........ but if I tell you I have a plan for this blue roses fabric and it doesn't involve going into my stash to wait to be used 'one day' does that make a difference?
 lol! 
Watch this space..............!!
Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Tue May 13, 2014 6:31 pm

the grandson and his partner have decided on Sesame Street theme with the emphasis on yellow for the great grandies room ... so i either have to purchase fabric or ... just use some red / blue and yellow i have here .... and i think that is what i will do ... and if in time they show they can look after a quilt that grandma makes then grandma will make a better one to on his big bed .. but for now .. it will be a very nice ... blue yellow and red quilt ... maybe mixed block sampler style or just straight up baby style ... or .. maybe a few animals ... ... who knows .. i am going to have more thinking to do before settling on something ... 

why couldn't they just have had blue .... bugger ... it would have made my job easier ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
queen   Like a Star @ heaven  queen  Like a Star @ heaven   queen   Like a Star @ heaven  queen  Like a Star @ heaven  queen 
Bobbie

hold your precious ones close and tell them you love them...
Back to top Go down
Evelyn J

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Tue May 13, 2014 10:18 pm

Do you know if it is a boy or a girl?
What about a simple bargello made from your chosen colours then applique some numbers and letters randomly across the squares? Maybe add a big bird or other character in a corner? Add a yellow border and your done!! Gee that was quick - pity we can't sew as fast as we get ideas about sewing!!!
 lol!
Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Wed May 14, 2014 1:56 pm

yes ... it is a boy child Evelyn ... due 2nd August ... and will be named Harrison Benjamin ... 

as i said .. this will just be a simple pattern .. nothing too fancy .. and as for a bargello .. i don't think so as i have one here that is still not finished and i am not starting another of those until the first is done ... 

all that you said sounds good ... apart from it being more work than i want to do ... the mum is 18 .. dad is 20 ... the baby will have his work cut out just trying to survive the mother .... she has no brains and her hygiene habits are .. what can i say ... absolutely non existent ... they both go days without a shower ... so i want to make Harry a quilt ... but i am not going to make anything too fancy as i know that they just won't look after it .... no point in spending time and money on something that may end up a rag in 12 months ... .... 

it is bad enough she will have custody of the child ... my heart aches at the thought .... but what can you do ... they think they are ready for this ... and they really have no idea ... and i say this from experience ... cos i thought i was ready .... and i was far from it .. lol

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
queen   Like a Star @ heaven  queen  Like a Star @ heaven   queen   Like a Star @ heaven  queen  Like a Star @ heaven  queen 
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
Evelyn J

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Wed May 14, 2014 3:21 pm

Bobbie, a simple bargello is strip pieced (eg 4 fabrics cut at 5.5" wide) then cross cut into 5.5" units and sewn back together again to form the quilt top with rows of diagonal coloured squares. Check out this link for a pic:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Evelyn J

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Wed May 14, 2014 3:23 pm

Would be very quick and easy to do. Just add a bid of suitable applique and a border to complete.
Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Wed May 14, 2014 4:20 pm

oh ... i would have called that a seminole style rather than bargello ... but i guess something like that would be simple enough .. but i made one like that for one of the other grandies as a play rug .... and Marcos says i should do something different for each of the kids ... no double ups .... 

but it is ok ... i will sort something out ... and it may not even be anything yellow or sesame street themed .... maybe i will just do my own thing .... after all ... i am an old great grandma now ... and my mind and memory is going on me and i don't remember stuff like i did when i was younger .... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
Evelyn J

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Wed May 21, 2014 4:13 pm

How often do you go to get something you know you have and always keep in the same place and you can't find it no matter how hard you search? Most frustrating, especially when what you want, you want NOW!

Hmmm......... So currently I am ............... tidying the stash and equipment! I prefer not to call this housekeeping (in case I put it aside and don't get it done)! I call this 'shopping' from my stash and taking inventory for future quilts. Oh to be so organised!!!
 lol! 

So far I have managed to find my blue spot fabric (missing now for 3 weeks) in the bottom of the draw I just knew it should have been in!!! I had searched that draw (or so I thought) twice already! Obviously not well enough! ha ha

And yesterday I went into a frenzy because I couldn't find my very old, well loved, sewing machine manual. Sure enough....... a little tidy of the sewing machine cabinet draw and ta-da!!! There it was - still as I remembered it - in its clear plastic bag and all!! Thank goodness! 

Maybe I have too much stash and equipment? Na! That can't be right? Forget I said that!

While sorting fabrics and equipment into a more usable order, I have discovered several pieces of fabric purchased to go into collections (that didn't quite make it into the said collections and were just placed/buried quickly on shelves and forgotten about)!  Embarassed My Autumn fabric stash has grown in size today and I didn't have to spend anything more than time to get it that way! Bargain!!!

Embarassed I also found a third box of Christmas fabric (I just knew I didn't use all that gingerbread man fabric last year!!!) They are all side by side now waiting to be used.

I do try to keep fabric families together (Christmas, Autumn etc), or if I shop for a particular quilt I will keep the pieces in a zip lock bag with the pattern and keep adding to them until I have the full kit all ready to go. My downfall is going off to classes and having to take along stash and equipment (I might need) and then not putting it back where I found it the first time!!!  Rolling Eyes 

Anyone else besides me have this sort of problem with stash and equipment?
Anyone have any suggestions on sorting/storage etc that works?

Oh, and later tonight I will pin and begin to stipple quilt the Autumn toned horse panel quilt top I have currently on the go. (Must remember to enlist some help and get a photo on here real soon!!)

Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Wed May 28, 2014 3:09 pm

yes .. we declutter (now let's be honest ... that never really happens) haha ... we resort ... and we restack .. and the best thing about doing any of this 'work' is finding that fabric you forgot you had ... 

i have been doing that for a couple of days now ... marcos went out on the weekend while young Brodie was here and purchased a couple of small shelved cupboards ... they are 6ft tall and 2ft wide .. one went into the kitchen for more and much needed storage and the other went into my fabric storage room ... what a great man i have ... 

everything was nicely packed into 55 litre plastic tubs and I have been storing my stuff like this for many years now ... and last night when i thought i had finished unpacking and popping stuff on shelves ... i found yet another tub full of stuff ... OMG .. how much crap do i really have ... too much really ... and seriously ... even though it may not be crap I honestly do have too much 

I have many many many unfinished things ... and most only need that final border put on .... i have no idea what is wrong with me .. why do I not finish these things ... do I just get bored .. or am I lazy ... or is it just the idea of starting something new that drags me off to start something else ... who knows ... it really has to stop ... 

maybe it is because they have been out of sight out of mind .. packed away in these ever so great plastic tubs that are most certainly a great space saver and wonder storage idea .. but ... I really was shocked to see so many though ... and no I have not counted them .. not really sure I honestly want to know for sure how many are really there .. but now .. they are in my cupboard .. and everytime I open the door I will see them ... and the plan now is ... when I have finished this baby quilt I will pull one unfinished item out at a time ... no more of having a dozen things out at once and getting none done .. one thing .. finish it .. to at least 'the top' stage and then it can go in the other cupboard with all the tops that are done and waiting for me to win the lottery so that I can get them quilted ... haha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
Evelyn J

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Wed May 28, 2014 4:15 pm

So glad to see I was "not alone" here!
I too need to get my stash out of all those boxes and tubs and onto shelves so they are easily seen. Mind you, I did have about half of it in one cupboard on shelves until last week when I was busy searching for 'just the right fabric' to go with another project!  Rolling Eyes  In my search, I did have to unpack half the cupboard shelves and ......... some of that went into tubs again!!
 lol! 
Not to worry, it went into a completed project tub, ready to put together - just like a kit with the pattern and all. So, if I don't get around to sewing it, maybe someone else will find it one day and do it for me?
Back to top Go down
Tarnyia S
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Thu May 29, 2014 10:20 am

lol!  isn't that wishful thinking that someone else will do it for you.... a friend died a few years back and she had loads of quilt kits never completed or started, so I got together with her quilty friends and we all chose a kit or unfinished project and we completed them... we then gave them to her two daughters, they were so surprised with all these finished ''love quilts'' and still had mum around their homes... the Grandsons now get under these quilts.................

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Tarnyia
Back to top Go down
Wendy R

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Thu May 29, 2014 4:13 pm

........................ ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh  rolling around the floor

rolling my eyes - doubled up laughing ...............

.....................said Evelyn .............,'.a simple bargello'  

Back to top Go down
Evelyn J

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Mon Jun 02, 2014 3:35 pm

Passing tissues to Wendy and helping her up off the floor cause I know she needs lots of help (while wondering to myself if she actually checked out the link I posted for the simple bargello???).

Hmmmm, was not even thinking of someone finishing the kits for me Tarnyia - but now you mention it - perhaps it would be nice if someone finished one of my kits so I could actually use it myself?  scratch Any takers here? No?
 lol! 
Actually Tarnyia, I was just doing them up in kit form so I didn't keep using fabrics for something else I had already earmarked to do, then having to go shopping to replace the used ones. I also thought, if I didn't get around to making up these kits then it would be easy for someone else to take advantage of them when I am no longer (gulp) sewing?
Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Mon Jun 02, 2014 4:14 pm

well .. today .. i am actually .. well was before i took a break and came and sat at the computer with my soup ... 

I am actually sewing .... have started on my very late BOM's .. but got interupted by the soup making ... and then started putting some of my "leader and ender" blocks together ... and so far i have 4 16inch blocks completed ... now i am pretty sure this is only going to be a single size quilt as double just may be too much for me and my machine ... but single and cross hatching should be easy enough ... and please don't say i could do it as a quilt as you go ... cos my hands would not tolerate the hand sewing of the back .. and before you say i could do the back first and overstitch the front - forget it .. i hate that look ... i shall just perserve and plod along with this ... i have heaps more of the 4 inch patches to make up and then add to the other bits and then add them to other bits etc and so on before this is finished ... but i am really happy with the way it is coming along ... 

and the great grandbaby's quilt is almost sorted ... i have the fabric coming via good old Aussie Post .. and should make a start on that this weekend ... and by the looks of it .. it will have big bird and elmo on it ... bloody applique ...  affraid

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
Evelyn J

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Tue Jun 03, 2014 4:39 pm

lol! 
And you don't need me to tell you how to do QAYG back and front at the same time either I guess?

Sewing is sewing Bobbie!! Enjoy! And if you don't like one method of appliqué - try another.
Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:24 pm

its not that I don't like applique ... I was just hoping to do a plain little quilt top ... fast and simple .... but my plans never go the way of the person who wants the quilt ... they always think more is better ... and I guess if they are not doing it or paying for it ... why not... 

but this is something I now have to get into the best frame of mind for ... as I don't quilt for others unless I have a joyful heart ... love in every stitch ... that sort of thing ..  I refuse to sew for others if I have a mood happening ... 

the fabric is on its way ... the applique fabric is coming too .. but may not be here until next week ... but i can get a start on it on the weekend ... 

this is what I am hoping I end up with .... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I have an appointment at the hospital tomorrow ... and will be leaving early in the day to go visit with my bestest buddy for most of the day ... but before I go see her I will be doing a very quick trip to spotlight ... fortunately they don't live far from each other ... so I should not get too lost ... 

this will be the first time I have driven anywhere (but the kids place) on my own since we got up here ... so it would seem Marcos feels I am over all the crap of the past 3 or 4 months ... so very happy good health is visiting me ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
Evelyn J

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:45 pm

Bobbie, snowballs and 9 patch blocks look good together. Are you intending to do the appliqué in each of the snowball blocks? Or are you thinking about doing randomly placed larger appliqué over several blocks?
Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:44 pm

as the appliques are about 12 inches .. roughly .. and the blocks are 6 inch ... naturally they won't fit in the snowballs ... so yeah ... just randomly put a couple on and see how it looks ... i think less will be more as i don't want to lose the design to the applique or vise visa .... 

just a little bit of everything ... there will be a big bird cos that is what mummy asked for ....  but will have to have an Elmo .... 1. cos that will tie the red in ... and .. 2. ... cos i just LOVE Elmo ... haha ... and i love Osca too ... but as i said ... just a little bit of everything ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
Evelyn J

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:56 pm

lol! 
What no Cookie Monster??
Who is the little man going to blame for all the cookie crumbs???
Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Fri Jun 06, 2014 1:53 am

my fabric for the great grandies quilt has arrived ... so i have some yellow and blue ... and some sesame characters .. and now .. let's see what i can make from these .... 

and yes Evelyn ... there is a cookie monster amongst the fabric panels ... but i am not too sure if 3 appliques will be too much ... it is not a huge quilt ... 36 x 42 i think .. but i will see what it looks like with big bird and elmo ... ya never know ... cookie may just get invited to come play ... 

the lovely Wendy at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] sent me a fat quarter from the same range as the yellow and blue fabrics ... which i can't use in the quilt but i am sure i can make something from it ... and i am also going to make one on those little tab cushion things for him too .. i think they could be a little useless ... but they do seem all the rage at the moment ... some sort of textile touchy feely thing .... and yes as you can see i am not really into all that stuff ... haha ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
Evelyn J

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Fri Jun 06, 2014 2:31 pm

Could you make a 'taggie pillow touchy feely thingie' (very techy description hey! ha ha) from one of the characters you don't use? Looking forward to seeing what you come up with.
Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:18 pm

yeah that's it ... a taggie pillow touchy feely thingie ... and i am sure that is eggzackerly what they are called too .. 

with all the different ribbons and bits hanging off the sides .... and maybe i will even attach a couple of large buttons ... really large ones that he won't choke on ... or not ... we'll see ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:19 pm

i could do some sukkolk puffs instead of buttons for that 3 dimensional thing ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:19 pm

ok ... i have been rather busy ... not really working .. but busy none the less cutting and piecing ... all this yellow and blue spotty fabric ... talk about seeing spots .. well i have plenty of them ... 

all the 6 1/2 inch light blue squares and 2 7/8 inch half square triangles are now all snowball blocks and the 2 1/2 inch yellow and blue patches are all 6 1/2 inch 9 patch blocks ... and they have been resized back to that anyway .. haha .. 

one day i will learn to sew a block without having to resize it ... NOT .. haha ... 

the snowballs and 9 patches have been pinned into pairs and are waiting for me to go back to the machine and stitch them together .... then i piece these pairs together till i have 7 rows of 6 blocks ... now i know i just wrote that and i know what i mean but that makes little sense to me .. sorry ... but i can't work out a better way to say that ... 

after all 7 rows are then pieced .. it will be time for the peeper and the the 2 borders .. then ... quilting ... opps ... forgot the applique ... then the quilting ... then binding .. then a quick launder and then into the mail ... 

hopefully i will have it done but the weekend ... 

and in the meantime ... my leader and ender blocks are growing ... i have half the quilt pieced now ... looking very good too ... my very first scrappy quilt ... very pleased with it ... so far ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
Evelyn J

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:16 pm

woo Hoo!!!
At least one of us is sewing and making progress.
I seem to be in the business of creating UFO's lately and I pleases me NOT!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Current Project   

Back to top Go down

Current Project
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 16 of 19Go to page : Previous  1 ... 9 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next