HomeHome  GalleryGallery  RegisterRegister  FAQFAQ  Log in  
Share | 

A weekender project ... anyone ????

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Fri May 31, 2013 10:54 am

I am going to put a pattern sheet together for a very quick and easy quilt ... and hopefully we can all do it together ...

I was thinking of doing it on a Saturday .. later in June ... I will have it on PDF and can send it out to anyone who would like it ....
the Instructions / Requirements / and pattern etc will be done in 3 separate files .. so they don't take too much to download ..
I have to do a tutorial up for it which means I have to make it first ... but that is ok ...
I can tell you all this much so far ... this is a charm square friendly pattern ... but you can easily use yardage ... fq's ... or even layer cakes ... but whatever way you do it .... you will need 4.5" and 5" squares ...
it will be done in 5 colours and a background of which you will need 2.5 yards ...

what you need for the colour is .... 75 x 5 inch charm squares in total .. split into 5 different colour groups ..
broken down like this ...
Colour

Charms needed

Green

Pink

Purple

Blue

Orange

As I said before .. you will need 2.5 yards of background .... this is also for the border ... and from this we will cut .. seventy-five 5" squares and forty 4.5" squares ...
if you want to use Fat Quarters for this project this is how many you will be needing ...

1 green
1 pink
1 purple
2 blue
2 orange

and ... if you were going to use yardage you will need 10" x wof or 1/3 yard of each fabric ... NOT including background of course ...

now that is about all the ingredients I have for you at this time ...

as I said ... you can use scraps ... if you can find that many in your stash that is great ... as for the background .. that too can be done with scraps ... or fat quarters .. however you may want your border to be all the one shade ..
I will be using creams or whites for my background ... and possibly a larger chunk of fabric for the borders ...

oh ... almost forgot .. the finished size of this quilt is ... 54" x 70" .. so it will be a good sized single bed quilt ... and ... the block sizes are 8.5" .....
and something I have observed from the pics .. is ... if you are using a white or cream background then try to steer away from using charm squares with too much white or cream in them .. they could end up getting lost in the overall pattern layout ...

if you intend on using a lighter shade of green or blue or yellow or whatever for your background ... then lay your charms on the background and check to see if you can still 'see' it clearly ... you really want to have charm patches that will stand out on your background ... and of course if you don't like some of these colours in the main ingredients .. you are very free change them to whatever shades you prefer .... using yellow instead of orange ... or whatever ... aqua's ... teals ... or batiks ... now batiks would look exceptionally awesome in this top .... oh wish I had this much choice of batiks in my dwindled stash ... but I don't and I am not buying more stuff .. this is my chance to use some of what I have ... and then I can buy more .. Twisted Evil

now I know I may seem to be chattering away in riddles ... but ... as soon as I have my fabrics chosen .. then I will reveal the picture of the top ... promise ... I have to work out how to get it from where it is to into the computer .. so that I can show you .. I will make the whole top too before I send out any patterns .. cos I want to make sure I have it RIGHT ....

and as I would love to get this underway in the next month ... I really should get a wriggle on ... I will be back with more soon ....
and I think pics in here will be ok too .... lots of them .. or in the gallery ... but in here would be great ... progress pics ... cool ...

ok .. I am outta here ... If you think you may be interested in joining in making this quilt ... please put your name down ... I will get the pattern out to you as soon as I have some of it done ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
queen   Like a Star @ heaven  queen  Like a Star @ heaven   queen   Like a Star @ heaven  queen  Like a Star @ heaven  queen 
Bobbie

hold your precious ones close and tell them you love them...
Back to top Go down
jendickson8

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:54 pm

I do have some awesome batiks in my stash and now might be the time use some of them for myself. All I can say is I will try to do this. I will select my fabric now.
Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:02 am

I have been playing with the pattern in EQ6 .. and a dark background would look awesome with this pattern too ... as long as the colours you picked stood out on the background you choose ...

black looked really stunning with those "jewel' colours ... i am now thinking i could do it with a dark background ... although i do have the whites too ... but ... one always needs a nice white on white toner .. and can never just find one when needed .. so i may just have to hang onto them ... and .... get some darker stuff .....

i may have to buy some darker stuff ... whoops ... best stop now ... haha ...

it would be lovely if you could join in Jen ... possibly won't be until sometime next month ... but i want to do the whole thing first ... get fabrics right etc so that everyone is not wasting time and $$$ on stuff ...

and .. i will also have a rough time on how long stuff will take to do .. cutting out ... piecing ... etc .... and that way i will have a realistic idea of how long this is also going to take in real time ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
queen   Like a Star @ heaven  queen  Like a Star @ heaven   queen   Like a Star @ heaven  queen  Like a Star @ heaven  queen 
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
Evelyn J

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:43 pm

Sounds really interesting Bobbie but I should be very busy at that time and may not be able to join in on the actual day/weekend. I will have time to check in and see how the progress is going though and cheer you on and maybe even provide some 'snacks' to keep you all going?
cheers (take no notice of the For Santa sign - it is a decoy only!)
Back to top Go down
Lorna G

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:38 am

I can do it any weekend but not the 21 of June,, it is a long weekend here in Quebec, and I will be gone, Lorna
Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Fri Jun 07, 2013 9:38 am

Thanks Lorna ... it may end up the being next month sometime at the rate i am going haha

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
jendickson8

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:14 pm

My daughter is finally moving out with her 2 kids after
school lets out for the summer. My
granddaughter is staying with me, but will be going to North Carolina for ENTIRE
summer. I am going to have a second
honeymoon. But wait….I have a lot of
sewing I want to do. I should be able to
do this on any weekend you plan for. I
will post pics for my progress.
Remember, I am a day behind you.
Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:15 am

that is wonderful news Jen ... you will not know what to do with yourself with all that extra time and 'space' ... how wonderful for you ....

and for hubby too .. haha ...

i will make sure everything gets posted up and you get all the pdf's for this so that you can do it on your weekend .. not have to come in and do it on 'our weekend' ..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
jendickson8

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:55 pm

Bobbie:  For the forty 4.5 sqs, what color should those be?  I am having some had surgery done soon and I want to cut what I can before that.  I am doning bright batiks on navy blue.  Will that work?
Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:53 pm

yes i reckon that will work wonderfully ... i will find the pattern and send it to you along with the cutting instructions ... 

that should get you at least started on what you will need .. am having a little hic-cup with my email at the moment .. but it should be sorted by the morning ... hope that is ok ..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:39 am

i will be cutting mine tomorrow ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:05 am

there will be a bit of a delay with this too ... we are going to visit with one of the boys at the end of next week ... and will possibly be gone for about 3 weeks ... so that will put this back to about the middle of july.... sorry about that .. i did not see this coming otherwise i would have waited .. 

hopefully i will get some of the making of this done before i go ... then i can do the pdf's while i am away .. maybe ... and have it ready when i get back ... 

and jen .. i am not sure if you told us already .. and i do apologise for being absent minded ... but darls .. what are you having surgery for ... if you don't mind me asking ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
jendickson8

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Sat Jun 15, 2013 3:49 am

Ten years ago I had 3 disc replaced and fused with a metal bar in my neck.  Now I have 6 disc under those that need to be replaced and fused with a metal bar.  I have a card that I have to carry explaining why I set the metal detectors off.  So I have a lot of nerve damage in my left hand at the moment. Tons of other stuff going on as a result of that.  Not sure what I am going to do or when I am going to do it.  Still needs some other testing done.  I can’t get appointments for months.  It’s crazy, but I will persevere
Back to top Go down
Lorna G

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:04 am

Good for you Jen girl, do not let it get the best of you. We have to deal with crap almost every day, and some days are worst than others, tons of hugs, Lorna:bear:
Back to top Go down
jendickson8

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:17 am

I got to much to do to let anything get me too down  and not enough time to do it in.
Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Sun Jun 16, 2013 3:34 am

hugs Jen ... oh how fun though ... setting of metal detectors and then showing the card .. how cool ... if i had one of them i reckon i would just go everywhere and anywhere for 3 days setting off as many of them as i could ... now that would be time well spent ... haha ... 

yeah .. i know .. i live a small life and not a great expectation of what fun is ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:23 am

i tried to add a couple of pics to the other post and ended up deleting it ... so thought i would start again ... this time with more colours ... 

actually Jen .. I just quickly looked at it .. and .. you will need from your background fabric ... 

75 x 5 inch charm squares ... 

40 x 4.5 inch charm squares ... 

if you are going to cut your colours too .. all are 5 inch charms ... 

as per the box up at the top ... 

green x 10

pink x 9

purple x 12

blue x 24

orange x 20 

and here is a little sneak peek ... well actually it is the whole thing .. haha ... 

i can change the colours of this if anyone else would like to see how their choices would look ... 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down
Bobbie B
Admin

PostSubject: Re: A weekender project ... anyone ????    Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:26 am

same quilt looks so different...  

all we have to do is make sure the background colour is fairly solid ... not a large or overpowering pattern on it ...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Bobbie

Back to top Go down

A weekender project ... anyone ????

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1